For parents, finding ways to help with everything from diagnosis to coping is vital. Here’s a list of 15 great resources, provided by The Friendship Circle of West Bloomfield Township, that parents of children with autism should be aware of if they need guidance. Click on the column headline, which is a URL, to go to the website.
2. AutismNOWAutismNOW should be the first place you look for the latest news, research and information on autism.
3. MyAutismTeamMyAutismTeam is a social network for parents of kids with autism.
4. Care.comCare.com is a great place to find a caregiver.
6. Autism…LearnThis site allows people, including children, with autism to complete online activities geared toward helping them develop vital skills.
14. Autism in ActionAiA specializes in offering how-to teaching programs that can help your child with virtually any task, from basic self-care to better communication.
15. Autism CalendarThis is a terrific resource that lists upcoming autism-related events in your local community. You can even add your own event to the calendar.
Jerry Wolffe is the advocate at large/writer in residence at the Macomb-Oakland Regional Center. He can be reached at (586) 263-8950.