Google+ Followers

Tuesday, June 2, 2015

A vast majority of nation's people with disabilities receive NO public financial help

MORC Writer-in-Residence, Advocate-at-large

The Madison House Autism Foundation Website via The DD News Blog reported on June 1, 2015 that “of the 3.775 million people with intellectual and developmental disabilities, 77 percent of them do not receive publicly funded residential supports."

"Of the 23 percent, or 1.127 million with I/DD who do not receive publicly funded supports, 56 percent live with family and 44 percent do not live with family. Of the 44 percent who do not live with family, 27 percent of those live in their own home. The other 73 percent live in group homes, foster homes, nursing facilities and less than 1,000 live in psychiatric facilities.”